I am a racist right-wing bigoted misogynistic homophobic Islamophobe.
That’s according to numerous self-proclaimed leftists who dislike facts. (The term ‘liberal’ is often used interchangeably with ‘leftist’.) I don’t like to pigeonhole myself, so I prefer using evidence to inform my worldview. Defending such a position, however, compels others (most often on the left) to accuse me of being a ‘right-winger’ or a ‘conservative’ or whatever, which I’m beginning to accept as a compliment.
The current social climate has become hostile towards facts.
Even most local cartoonists (who are self-proclaimed leftists) push narratives before facts. I understand why, though. Populism keeps them employed.
Dave Rubin of The Rubin Report, one of the most successful talk shows on YouTube, explained why he no longer considers himself a leftist (or ‘progressive’).
The irony is that, when discussing the issues, I am usually more liberal than most liberals. In fact, liberals are some of the most conservative people I’ve met.
A quick acid test, as a sample of what I support:
- legalisation of rhino horn trade;
- drug legalisation (all drugs);
- legalisation of prostitution;
- loosening the borders;
- decentralised energy, education, and telecommunication;
- freedom of expression;
- religious freedom;
- mother’s choice to abort (with exceptions);
- the right to marry anyone and to have any number of marital partners;
- keeping our troops within our borders;
- decriminalisation of digital piracy (such as downloading movies or music for personal use).
Those are just a few talking points. I have my reasons and can justify each position with relevant data.
Which, I’m guessing, makes me a racist right-wing bigoted misogynistic homophobic Islamophobe.